Thursday, September 19, 2013

Fall Friday #1- Walk in the Leaves (...Sort of) and a Homemade Sugar Scrub



Hi guys! For today's Fall Friday, I decided I would take a walk in the leaves.

Then I went outside and realized there were no leaves...Oops. :X

Unfortunately, I couldn't really find anyone to apple-pick with so last minute and I didn't have hay; so, bringing Mr. Scarecrow to life wasn't really an option either. I love to walk and today was a beautiful day. So I decided that while the "leaves" on the ground weren't really the fall foliage I was hoping to post, the green very summer-esque leaves would have to suffice.

Also, I figure I will take a ton of walks this Fall, so at some point it really will be a "Fall" walk and it can be crossed off my bucket list for real.

I walked the path in the town next to mine through the woods around the pond.







After doing so, my feet were just exhausted! And after squishing them into my sneakers, they felt rough. So I decided to make a homemade sugar scrub to help alleviate my dry skin. I know it's not really a typical "recipe"for a baking blog. But my house was hot and my feet hurt, so I decided this was all the "making" that I was capable of and opted for a bowl of honey nut cheerios (well "Tasteos"...we're a cheap household...) for dinner instead.

Sugar scrubs are one of the easiest recipes out there and if you're into making your own skin products, this is definitely a recipe worth book-marking because it is so cheap and simple to make and it is very effective. After just one use, you will find that your hands are noticeably smoother. I know I'm sounding like an infomercial but this stuff is great. There are also a plethora of very simple variations you can try.

All you need is sugar, oil and spices are optional.

For today's scrub, I used a mix of dark brown sugar with white sugar, coconut oil (it's the wonder ingredient, seriously. For just a few of the benefits read here.) and a few drops of peppermint extract. But there are many very easy variations! I opt for ones that smell like desserts, but what can you expect from the girl of a baking blog? :)




Sugar Cookie Sugar Scrub: Mix equal parts white sugar, brown sugar, and almond oil together, add a few drops of vanilla extract to give it a sugar cookie scent.
Banana Bread Sugar Scrub: Mash one very ripe banana up then add 1/2 Cup sugar and two teaspoons coconut oil.
Pumpkin Pie Sugar Scrub: Mix equal parts brown sugar and coconut oil together, add 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spices.
Peppermint Patty Sugar Scrub (Sort of what I made today only without the brown sugar): Mix equal parts white granulated sugar and coconut oil. Add a few drops of peppermint extract.
Gingerbread Sugar Scrub: Mix equal parts brown sugar and coconut oil, add 1-2 tablespoons of molasses and 1 teaspoon ginger.
Lemon Meringue Sugar Scrub: Mix equal parts fresh lemon juice and white granulated sugar. Add 1-2 tablespoons honey.
Almond Joy Sugar Scrub: Mix equal parts white sugar with coconut oil and add a few drops of almond extract.
And those are just a few! There are so many variations and it's easy to experiment and make your own with success.

Directions for Use: After mixing all your ingredients together, you should produce a gritty yet spreadable mixture. If too gritty: add more oil. If too liquidy: add more sugar. These recipes are very forgiving. Apply liberally to hands, feet, face etc. If you have sensitive skin, you may want to test it on a small area first to see how you react. Let sit for five minutes- this will feel tingly and depending on your add ins, may sting. For first time users I recommend a basic scrub of just sugar and oil as you may not be used to the sensation yet. Then wash off and feel your silky smooth skin! Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to two months or in the refrigerator for much longer (not sure how long, mine never lasts more than a few days I use it so much!)




Recipe Source: I got the base recipe from Wellness Mama, slightly adapted her Pumpkin Pie recipe and created the rest by adapting her base recipe.

So I'm going to decompress with this scrub and I will see you back here next Friday for another Fall adventure! (Hopefully a real fall adventure next week.) Thanks for tuning in!

What are your favorite sugar scrub combinations? Have you ever tried a salt scrub? What is your personal preference? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment